Dienstag, 9. Oktober 2012

the one book i've enjoyed the most lately

Ever since I was a little girl I've loved reading. When I was twelve or 13 I was a huge sucker for Goosebumps and Fear Street, teenage horror at its best! I read all of the Sookie Stackhouse novels and yes, I even enjoyed the Twilight series. I developed a preference for Jean-Paul Sartre, Nick Hornby and Jonathan Safran Foer. Everywhere I went I had a book with me. I read in busses, in my bed, at the doctor's and in class when it was too boring.

Last summer my enthusiasm for reading stopped. I wasn't my mental self, if that makes any sense, and reading was such a torture. I had problems concentrating and couldn't remember what I had just read. It wasn't fun anymore.

BUT the fun has come back! For a few months now, I've enjoyed reading again and couldn't be more happier about it. I want to share the one book that I've enjoyed the most since then:


The Boy with the Cuckoo-Clock Heart by Mathias Malzieu (original title: La Mécanique du Cœur)

Ever wondered what happens to you when you're born in the coldest night there has ever been? Your heart stops beating and instead of letting you die, a lovely old woman builds a cuckoo-clock into your chest that keeps you alive. This happens to Jack and despite every warning of his foster-mother that his cuckoo-clock heart will burst when he falls in love, he actually falls in love. His journey to find his love begins and it's just as heart-warming as heartbreaking. I read the book in German and in its original language French since I understand French enough to not wander hopelessly around Paris. I loved every word of the story and I can honestly say that it has been the best book I have read in a very long time.

I've wondered if reading has become one of those outdated hobbies that noone really does anymore. With instagram, blogs, youtube and twitter, do we need to read stories? And do we even need books when we can buy e-books for very little money now? I've always loved being in libraries and book stores, oh the smell of paper! I love being surrounded by books and regret that I cannot display every single one I own as I'm living in a very small flat and most of my books are in the cellar. When I grow old I want a library just for me. I want to sit there and spend my last days reading the stories I've always loved: The Boy with the Cuckoo-Clock Heart, Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close, No Exit, Slam, all of Astrid Lindgrend's children's stories, The Virgin Suicides and Tintin, Asterix and Obelix and Lucky Luke. I will be an old happy lady.

Kommentare:

  1. Ah I love this post! That book sounds absolutely amazing and I will definitely check it out. I talked about it with someone in school today, how everyone fills up every kind of spare time they have with checking their facebook on their cellphones etc instead of maybe reading a book. I love love LOVE reading and I actually had a couple of years where I didn't do much reading. But a couple of months ago I read The virgin suicides and I fell in love all over again with reading and I haven't stopped reading since! I love hanging out in libraries too, I feel so stimulated and "at home" in libraries. And when I get a place of my own I want a room with walls covered in only books. E-books will never be the same for me. The smell of a book, the beautiful cover art, the feel and sound of turning a page... nope, it can't be replaced.

    AntwortenLöschen
  2. I just read The Virgin Suicides for the second time, I cannot describe what the storiy does to me, it's just so good!

    AntwortenLöschen